It’s important to know your rights with regards to title insurance in Maryland. What are your rights when it comes to settlements and title insurance? Below is The Title Insurance Consumer’s Bill of Rights from the Maryland Real Estate Commission, which covers all of your rights as the consumer in the process.
Nine Things You Should Know Before Signing a Contract of Sale or Refinancing Your Property
- You have the right to choose your settlement agent and title insurer.
- You have the right to receive settlement cost information early in the real estate settlement process, allowing you to shop for the settlement services that best meet your needs.
- You have the right to receive an itemized settlement statement from the settlement agent detailing all fees paid to the settlement agent before you agree to use that settlement agent.
- You have the right to be informed about the total cost being paid by you to the settlement agent.
- You have the right to ask and receive accurate information from your settlement agent about whether there is a ground rent, lien, judgment, or any other impediment to outright ownership of the property.
- You have the RIGHT to request and receive from your settlement agent the Settlement Statement (HUD-1) the business day before the date of settlement.
- You have the right, before you sign, to ask the settlement agent questions and receive clear and complete answers about charges and documents that you do not understand.
- You have the right to receive copies from the settlement agent of all documents you signed at the time of closing.
- You have the right to have all funds disbursed timely and properly by the settlement agent in accordance with the Settlement Statement (HUD-1) you signed at closing.
Source: The Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) of 1974, 12 U.S.C.§ 2601 et seq.
Keep these rights in mind when choosing a settlement agent and title insurer. More information is available here.
American Home Title Group has been helping Marylanders with their title needs for over 25 years. In the ever-volatile real estate industry, a company’s longevity can be attributed to the quality of its work. With more than 120 years of experience in real estate and titles, American Home Title Group is your Baltimore title company ready to provide you with the best experience possible in every capacity.
To get you started on the way to titling your home, try our free title settlement quote program here. You can fill it out for a free, no obligation title quote. It’s easy and fast so you’ll have the information you need in seconds. Contact us for more information about our title and other real estate services.
As your Baltimore title company, American Home Title Group is ready to assist you today with a variety of real estate needs you may have. Contact us now to begin your home titling process. Our phone number is 410-750-8500. To reach us via email, please send a message to email@example.com. Follow our blog and keep up with us on Google+, Facebook, and Twitter.